|Do you have news that is not
yet published on this website? E-mail us at email@example.com.
|Elton John party offers sublime, surreal moments
Tuesday, March 4 2014
The Academy Awards were on at Elton John AIDS Foundation's viewing dinner party, but the real entertainment came from the performances, celeb watching, and the surreal moments of the evening.
Lady Gaga, members of the Kardashian clan (including new mom Kim), Steven Tyler, Britney Spears, Heidi Klum, Quincy Jones, Whoopi Goldberg and more were among the celebrities taking part in the 22nd annual event, which raises funds for those afflicted with HIV and AIDS.
The event was held in a cavernous tent a few miles away from where the actual awards were taking place. Huge screens adorned the venue as party-goers watched the Oscar action. "If Pharrell Williams doesn't win best song, then I'm (expletive) going home early," Elton bellowed to the crowd after Williams performed his nominated song "Happy" (Williams didn't win, but thankfully for the crowd, the award was handed out late in the ceremony, making Elton's threat moot).
The crowd laughed with host DeGeneres and whooped when various winners took the stage (and let out a loud moan when a brief technical glitch knocked out the telecast for a few minutes). But the night got more interesting when the broadcast ended and the party got into full swing. First there was an auction of key items; Neil Patrick Harris jokingly offered to make out with the top bidder (and go a bit further than that) for an item featuring tickets to his upcoming Broadway show, "Hedwig and the Angry Inch."
Not to be outdone, Steven Tyler told a few bawdy jokes of his own as he helped to auction off five nights in his Hawaiian getaway, which raised $100,000. Elton John also got in on the auction act, taking crowd requests and playing a few of his hits on a piano that was auctioned off for $220,000.
It seemed as if that brief instrumental performance would be the only one from Elton on the night. But late, he joined the night's performer, Grammy-nominated singer-songwriter Ed Sheeran, for a rendition of Elton's classic "Candle in the Wind"
The party didn't end there. Dinner was followed by dancing, as more celebrities came: Among those who were on hand included Olympic ice dancing gold medalists Meryl Davis and Charlie White, along with bronze boblsedder Aja Evans, all with their medals, holding up for medals for admirers to see — and take selfies as well.
The evening raised $5.1 million for the foundation, according to organizers.
Back to Headlines
|Elton's "Streets of Philadelphia" to be released on DVD/Blu-ray
Tuesday, February 25 2014
The 2013 MusiCares Person of the Year concert film honoring Bruce Springsteen will be released March 25, 2014 on DVD, Blu-ray and via digital download.
The sold-out event, which was hosted by Jon Stewart, recognized Springsteen’s extraordinary creative accomplishments as well as his significant charitable work and featured performances by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band in addition to more than a dozen performances of Springsteen’s work by other artists. Columbia Records is proud, through this project, to provide essential support to MusiCares, which ensures that music people have a place to turn in times of financial, medical and personal need.
‘A MusiCares Tribute To Bruce Springsteen’ Tracklist
1. “Adam Raised a Cain” Performed by Alabama Shakes
2. “Because the Night” Performed by Patti Smith
3. “Atlantic City” Performed by Natalie Maines, Ben Harper and Charlie Musselwhite
4. “American Land” Performed by Ken Casey
5. “My City of Ruins” Performed by Mavis Staples and Zac Brown
6. “I’m On Fire” Performed by Mumford and Sons
7. “American Skin (41 Shots)” Performed by Jackson Browne and Tom Morello
8. “My Hometown” Performed by Emmylou Harris
9. “One Step Up” Performed by Kenny Chesney
10. “Streets of Philadelphia” Performed by Elton John
11. “Hungry Heart” Performed by Juanes
12. “Tougher Than the Rest” Performed by Tim McGraw and Faith Hill
13. “The Ghost of Tom Joad” Performed by Jim James and Tom Morello
14. “Dancing in the Dark” Performed by John Legend
15. “Lonesome Day” Performed by Sting
16. “Born in the USA” Performed by Neil Young with Crazy Horse
17. “We Take Care of Our Own” Performed by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
18. “Death to My Hometown” Performed by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
19. “Thunder Road” Performed by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
20. “Born to Run” Performed by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
21. “Glory Days” Performed by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band & cast ensemble
Back to Headlines
|Elton duet with Engelbert Humperdinck
Sunday, February 23 2014
Some of the world s entertainment legends have joined forces with Engelbert Humperdinck to create tracks for his forthcoming duets album.
Coming over 45 years after his first massive number one single, the incomparable trademark "Please Release Me", this album is a celebration of an incredible career. The album will be released on March 17, 2014 through Conehead via Nova Distribution/Universal. Featuring brand new recordings that see Engelbert teaming up with some of music s greatest stars, this is a collection that really shines. The album is being produced by Grammy Award-winner Martin Terefe [Jason Mraz, James Morrison, KT Tunstall, Mary J Blige].
Engelbert said: "This album is a true labour of love. We have a few more recordings to go, but what a cast! I m keeping most of it under my hat but I was so excited about working with Elton, Smokey, Willie Nelson, Dionne Warwick, Kenny Rogers and of course Sir Cliff whom I have admired ever since first hearing them, I m honoured that they have contributed to this album, people are going to love the songs."
Elton commented: "One of the sweetest and nicest people I have ever worked with. We had great time singing together and he is so quick, what I call a one-take singer, 76 years old and still sounding as good as ever."
1. Something About The Way You Look Tonight (with Elton John) - Engelbert Humperdinck & Elton John
2. Since I Lost My Baby (with Cliff Richard) - Engelbert Humperdinck & Cliff Richard
3. Never Never Never (with Olivia Newton-John) - Engelbert Humperdinck & Olivia Newton-John
4. Spanish Eyes (with Il Divo) - Engelbert Humperdinck & Il Divo
5. Make You Feel My Love (with Willie Nelson) - Engelbert Humperdinck & Willie Nelson
6. I Need You Now (with Lulu) - Engelbert Humperdinck & Lulu
7. Spinning Wheel (with Gene Simmons) - Engelbert Humperdinck & Gene Simmons
8. Real Love (with Shelby Lynne) - Engelbert Humperdinck & Shelby Lynne
9. You ve Really Got A Hold On Me (with Smokey Robinson) - Engelbert Humperdinck & Smokey Robinson
10. Release Me (with Wynonna Judd) - Engelbert Humperdinck & Wynonna Judd
11. She Believes In Me (with Kenny Rogers) - Engelbert Humperdinck & Kenny Rogers
12. Better (with Louise Dorsey) - Engelbert Humperdinck & Louise Dorsey
1. Ain t That Peculiar (with Andrea Corr) - Engelbert Humperdinck & Andrea Corr
2. A Certain Smile (with Johnny Mathis) - Engelbert Humperdinck & Johnny Mathis
3. Kiss Me Honey (with Tini) - Engelbert Humperdinck & Tini
4. The Hungry Years (with Neil Sedaka) - Engelbert Humperdinck & Neil Sedaka
5. It Matters To Me (with Dionne Warwick) - Engelbert Humperdinck & Dionne Warwick
6. She (with Charles Aznavour) - Engelbert Humperdinck & Charles Aznavour
7. After The Lovin' (with Beverley Knight) - Engelbert Humperdinck & Beverley Knight
8. It s Impossible / Somos Novios (with Armando Manzanero) - Engelbert Humperdinck & Armando Manzanero
9. Quien Te Dijo Eso (with Luis Fonsi.) - Engelbert Humperdinck & Luis Fonsi
10. Something To Hold On To (with Ron Sexsmith) - Engelbert Humperdinck & Ron Sexsmith
11. Father And Son (with Bradley Dorsey) - Engelbert Humperdinck & Bradley Dorsey
Elton recorded with Engelbert Humperdinck
Saturday, January 11 2014 at 04:51:14
Back to Headlines
|Bright Light Bright Light feat Elton John
Saturday, February 22 2014
As Bright Light Bright Light found out, when Elton John calls to tell you he's a fan, that's when you pop him on your new single.
The first single and title track from sophisticated electropop connoisseur Bright Light Bright Light, aka Rod Thomas', new EP "I Wish We Were Leaving" wasn't supposed to be a duet. In a story we all can relate to, Thomas was working on the song when he received a phone call from close personal friend Elton John who wanted him to know how much he enjoyed his debut album, 2012's "Make Me Believe In Hope."
"From then I kept hearing his voice on the track," Thomas explains. "In time I played him 'I Wish We Were Leaving' and he added his vocals. Although it wasn't written as a duet, I love that his voice taking lead in the second verse is a reminder that every relationship has two sides and two voices."
For Elton it meant working in a slightly different way to what he's been used to: "Working with Bright Light Bright Light was a challenge for me as I love Electronica but am quite ignorant on the recording process. I had to sing in a completely different way which I really enjoyed." As with the songs that made up his debut album, "I Wish We Were Leaving" is infused with a distinct mix of sadness and hope - the verses dealing with the longing that comes from wanting something more from a relationship, before the chorus of "one day you'll make somebody so happy" bursts with the realisation that what you have is special regardless.
The "I Wish We Were Leaving" EP is out on April 7, 2014 via Self Raising Records.
Back to Headlines
|Elton John and band performed in Rio de Janeiro on February 19, 2014
Thursday, February 20 2014
Following is the complete set list of the Rio de Janeiro show on February 19, 2014.
- Funeral for a Friend
- Love Lies Bleeding
- Bennie and the Jets
- Candle in the Wind
- Grey Seal
- Tiny Dancer
- Holiday Inn
- Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters
- Philadelphia Freedom
- Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
- Rocket Man
- Hey Ahab
- I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues
- The One
- Skyline Pigeon
- Someone Saved My Life Tonight
- Sad Songs (Say So Much)
- All the Girls Love Alice
- Home Again
- Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me
- I'm Still Standing
- The Bitch Is Back
- Your Sister Can't Twist (But She Can Rock 'n Roll)
- Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting
- Your Song
- Crocodile Rock
Back to Headlines